September 17, 2016

What is the impact of Endospores on bacteria’s growth rate ?

That is the question I wanted to answer ! Not so easy … Because first of all, you have to know what an endospore is ! An endospore is a heat resistance structure that forms within certain cells. It allows some cells to survive under stress conditions ! 
Then, I had to choose only two bacteria, among all those that exist … Not an easy choice ! After some hard hours of thinking, I choose Bacillus subtilis, a beautiful little bacterium that has the superpower to grow spores and Escherichia coli, another wonderful bacterium not able to form spores. 

Now that I have my two protagonists, I have to be sure that some endospores form on B. subtilis. For that, I took some of those bacteria and decided to stain them, so that they become pink and the endospores become green. With colors, it is easier to distinguish the endospores ! Once I did the staining, I observe it under the microscope. What did I see !? Nothing … There was no green little thing … only pink bacteria … no endospores ! 

I was sad but I decided to move on : it’s not because there is no endospores that I cannot do my experiment ! Therefore, I did some overnight cultures : my bacteria could grow all night, and I will observe them in the morning. Then, when I woke up, I took a few amount of the overnight cultures to let them grow for another 6 hours in erlenmeyers, at 37°C, their optimum temperature to live, and 41°C, a higher temperature for them to stress and form endospores. After the 6 hours waiting, I measure the absorbance, with a spectrophotometer, to observe their growth rate. With my data, I manage to plot this graph : 
elena.png
First graph is at 37°C and the graph below is at 41°C
On this graph, nothing was happening like I thought it would … I saw that E. coli was growing at 41°C even though it should die and that B. subtilis was dying at 41°C even though it should be resistant. Everything was upside down ! Also, the growth rate was near to 0 while the bacteria were suppose to grow…

I still had to draw some conclusions. I think the bacteria are not growing because I had to let them grow for 6 hours in order to the endospores to form. Therefore, when I take my measures, they might already be in their stationary phase, which is why we cannot see any growth. I also had some material problems to put the bacteria at 41°C which could be the reason why E. coli are still growing at this temperature. Also I am not sure that the endospore form in B. subtilis, which could explain their die at 41°C. Maybe next time I should first be sure that endospores form, by stressing B. subtilis, by undernourishment.

If you want to know more, please take a look at the poster I did : https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ju9UHWRhJi3lInW2Xy_V-iADRkeao3flViloPTj1NFU/edit

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog disclaimer

The content created by the Learning thru research Student Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of Centre de recherche interdisciplinaire, University Paris Descartes or any employee thereof. The authors of posts and comments are responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied on this blog, as well as for any content copyright issues.